It was a welcome return to black tie dress for the Oscars…for the most part. I have not been able to find any direct quote as to what the dress code is, but I’ve found excerpts from past Oscars that indicate that black tie is expected. In 1960, in fact, an alleged note sent to invitees read “The Academy feels that the dignity of this traditional affair on our 40th Anniversary deserves formal dress. Men are expected to wear white tie with conventional formal evening accessories.”
It does, appear, moreover, that most who have researched this subject have concluded that “black tie” is the expected mode of attire for men. This means that those being honored may express themselves somewhat…since they are the “peacocks” of the evening…all others should defer to them…and essentially look like penguins…dark tuxedos or dinner jackets, white shirts, black ties or bow ties.
Having said that, here are my selections for the evening.
BEST DRESSED MALE:
Daniel was resplendent in a blue tuxedo, with smaller shawl lapels, white shirt, white pocket Holywood square, and black bow tie. Simple black calf shoes. Note the minute touch of detailing on Daniel’s jacket in the contrasting besom above his pocket flaps…very nice!
Everything fit Daniel perfectly! Did you even think about his height? (He’s 6’4″…his tailor eliminated this thought from everyone’s mind! Bravo!)
HONORABLE MENTION- MEN:
- There were so many well-dressed men at this year’s Oscars, it was impossible to not mention a little about those who came in behind Daniel Day-Lewis!
- Christophe Walze styled a single breasted shawl lapel tuxedo with bow tie. His jacket is the proper length and he looks great…even next to a much taller Cooper!
- Bradley Cooper sported a larger peak lapel jacket with vest and bow tie. Bradley’s jacket also is the right length…adding to the overall great look of his outfit!
- Chris Pine went for a very simple double breasted peak lapel tuxedo.
- Hugh Jackman changed it up a bit with a unique shawl lapel double breasted tuxedo.
- Christopher Plummer showed us how to be creative in wearing his black velvet-collared Chesterfield-style tuxedo jacket!
- Finally…Michael Strahan shows us that even big guys can look great if properly fitted in a tuxedo…Michael was one of the few sticking with a black formal tie.
WORST DRESSED MEN:
Although I love Jamie Fox’s outfit…for a different occasion…as a presenter…which he was…he was obligated to wear a black tie tuxedo,…that does not include a black shirt…nor anything other than a dark tuxedo…black, blue, white shirt, black tie, etc! His outfit was just not acceptable.
Similarly, Robert Downey, Jr looked ridiculous as a presenter in his ill-conceived outfit! Perhaps he was training and “in-character” as Sherlock Holmes!
WORST FITTING TUXEDOS!
Our worst-fitting outfits did have one common thread…the outfits were too small!
In Ben Afleck’s case, Ben is a big guy! His tuxedo was just too short. The combination of a shorter-than-needed tuxedo paired with his under-sized bow tie, was just unflattering to his upper body. These compounding mistakes make Ben look boxy and over-weight…which he is not! Compare him to Bradley Cooper, Liev Schreiber, or Michael Strahan above…and you’ll agree!
In Joseph Gordon-Levett’s case, his tuxedo was just too short and tight. He’s got a decent-sized foot also…and his ultra trim pants just look a little off. An extra inch or two in the peg of the pant would have worked wonders for him! (The piping on his jacket made me think of a circus announcer…sorry…) His ill-fitting outfit makes him look shorter than he actually is!
Finally, George Clooney is guilty of not remembering his age! While I’m sure he can trim down for any film, he is currently sporting a little extra at the mid-section. He is pants were cut with much too short a rise for his current build. An easy fix would have been for George to have donned a cummerbund…but if the current look of no cummerbund was what he was going for, a slightly longer or higher rise would have worked. His pants, while an appropriate fit regarding taper, were too long!
MOST IMPROVED APPEARANCE…
For those who followed my Grammy Best Dressed comments, you’ll recall that I beat Keith up a little for an atrocious choice of shoes he wore to the Grammys. Last night, Keith looked great in his tux…with well-shined black shoes!
Overall…one of the best dressed Oscar Ceremonies in years!
Vinnie Rua- Founder, Christopher’s CustomRead More