According to the fashion gurus in NYC, this Spring’s #1 suit fabric should be a throwback sharkskin in a 2-button single breasted model, smaller lapels (3-3 1/8″), side vented, with flat front trousers.
Here is a variation on the sharkskin suit…not sure this fashion play will make it in the real world…but you get the idea…
Thom Browne is known to exaggerate each season’s fashion concepts. His idea, however,certainly does hammer home the trends including:
- Smaller lapels…these are actually fine for anyone…3-3 1/8″ will work fine
- Shorter jacket length…the above is probably 5″ shorter than any you’ll find in a store and certainly 5″ shorter than I’d design for most guys
- Trimmer pant…the “pant” or short is actually OK in terms of it’s trim
- Shorter trouser…well…I only know one guy in Albany who would wear shorts to a business meeting…but a full break is definitely out this spring for fashion-forward guys. Try a 2″ cuff with no break!
- Sleeve length…no idea what Thom was thinking…the jacket sleeves should be normal length
- Two button silhouette…looks fine
- Patch pockets on jacket…I think this is a little too casual for a business suit
- Simple white shirt…perfect!
- Solid or small simple pattern tie…perfect!
- Over-the-calf solid socks…with black lace up shoes…perfect!
Happy hunting this Spring!
Vinnie Rua- Founder, Christopher’s Custom